Manslaughter Charge against Teen Withdrawn
A manslaughter charge was withdrawn today from a Mississauga teen accused of playing a role in the thanksgiving weekend slaying of another young man.
The teen, 14, had earlier been granted bail soon after he was arrested last October in connection with the stabbing death of Brandon Paltooram, 19.
He was knifed in the early morning hours of October 11 outside a house party on Rosewater ct, Near Eglinton Ave W and Mavis rd.
“My client maintained his innocence all along‚” lawyer Gary Batasar said today after the Peel Crown prosecutor Scott Latimer withdrew the charge in a Brampton courtroom.
“He and his family are relieved that the crown made the correct decision. This young man can move on after what can only be described as tumultuous, scary, traumatic experience”.
The youth and a 16 year old teen, also still before the courts, cannot be named under Canada’s youth laws.
The older teen is charged with second degree murder.
A 17 year old is also charged with manslaughter and accessory after the fact to murder.
Paltooram was coming to the aid of his girlfriend, who was being assaulted by a group of individuals, when he was fatally wounded, police said at the time of the arrests.
A 20 year old Toronto man was also stabbed in the altercation, but survived, police said.
Paltooram was in his second year at the University of Guelph-Humber when he died. He was studying to become a chartered accountant.