Manslaughter charges withdrawn in stabbing
By: Louie Rosella
March 30, 2009 04:30pm-A manslaughter charge against a 15 year old Mississauga boy accused in the fatal stabbing of an older teen at a house party has been dropped.
The charge was withdrawn earlier today in Brampton court by the Crown Attorney.
Last week, a seventeen year old boy also charged with manslaughter in the death last October 11 of Brandon Paltooram, 19, had the charge against him withdrawn.
A 16 Year old boy remains before the courts, charged with second degree murder in the case.
None of the teens can be identified under the youth criminal Justice Act.
‘My client and his family have been through a very traumatic experience and we’re relieved that the right decision was made today‚” said the 15 year olds lawyer, Gary Batasar. ‘It’s unfortunate that someone this age has been labelled a killer when he has maintained his innocence all along. This young man can move on after what can only be described as a tumultuous, scary, and traumatic experience‚”.
The teen was granted bail shortly after he was arrested last October in connection with the stabbing death outside a house party on Rosewater Crt, near Eglinton Ave. West and Mavis Rd.
Paltooram was coming to the aid of his girlfriend, who was being assaulted by a group of individuals, when he was fatally wounded, Peel Regional Police said.
Paltooram, a St. Joseph Secondary School graduate who was in his second year at University of Guelph-Humber, was studying business to become a chartered accountant. He was an avid cricket player, according to his father, Shawn Paltooram.
‘It’s senseless, absolutely senseless‚” he said. “My son was such a good kid, a good teenager with some real goals in life. I’m not sure what society has come to when lives with so much potential are taken from us”.
Brandon and his sister, Jessica, 17 were “inseparable,” Paltooram said.
“They would always look out for each other. They wouldn’t let each other out of their sights” he said.